Are you uncertain on how to offer an apology in an email? Finding the appropriate words to say while apologizing is sometimes easier said than done. Nonetheless, since everyone encounters mistakes at work, admitting the mistake, recognizing how to apologize, and overcoming it are crucial skills to help you reach your professional goals.
It’s an art to draft an email that sets the perfect tone for your apology and for whatever reason you are searching up ways to apologize, we can help you set the right tone for it. This blog post contains 10 instances of genuine apologies that will help you understand how to apologize efficiently in an email.
Whatever type of apology email you’re writing, keep these key factors in mind to ensure acceptability:
- When apologizing, be authentic.
- If feasible, seek their opinion.
- Accept responsibility for your error.
- Make a strategy for resolving the issue.
- Explain why you’re apologizing in particular.
- Demonstrate that you are aware of the person’s objectives and viewpoints.
Right Inbox allows you to turn effective emails into templates you can use at scale.Insert your best performing emails with one click with email templates for Gmail.
1. Apology Email to a Customer for Poor Quality Products
Subject line: Sincerest Apologies
Dear John Sparrow,
I would like to begin by extending my heartfelt apology for the poor service you experienced at (company name). We acknowledge that we fell short of your requirements, and we realize how disappointed and unhappy this may have caused you to be.
We at (company name) would like to express our heartfelt regret and apology for the service you experienced. Everyone at the company is undertaking improvements as a result of your encounter to guarantee that this never happens again.
We look forward to continuing our relationship with you, and hope to hear from you soon.
2. Apology Email to a Business Customer for a Delayed Order
Subject line: Please accept our apologies
I would like to express my apologies for the waiting that came in the way of handling your order. Regretfully, due to unpredictable circumstances, your order was prolonged. We recognize the detrimental effect this wait might have had on your operations and promise you that this would not happen again.
You are our valuable customer, and we hope you will continue to place your confidence in us. If you have any questions, please don’t feel free to contact me.
3. Apology Email to Customers for App Downtime
Subject line: Thank you for being patient; we are sorry!
You may have observed that (app name) had a downtime today. Certain actions were denied with an error of (error name) for a period of (time starting) till (time ending).
We apologize for any inconvenience; it was the first time an interruption has occurred since we introduced the service. However, we assure you that all measures are being taken to minimize all chances of any such instance for the future.
If you require any additional information, please do not hesitate to contact us any time.
4. Apology Email to Multiple Customers for a Mistake
Subject line: We are sorry!
We would like to express my regrets and apology for (state problem). We are constantly working towards providing you with the best possible service, however we fell short this time.
We are truly sorry for the inconvenience that this may have caused to you. At the same time, we assure you that every single measure is being taken to handle this problem at its core and to make sure that nothing like this happens again in the future.
We are aware of what occurred and will exercise greater caution in the future. Anyone who has been harmed by this will be allowed to (explain offering) as an additional apology.
Please accept our heartfelt gratitude towards your patience in this situation. We’ll make certain that we learn and grow from this experience.
Additional Reading: How to Write an Email: Best Practices
5. Apology Email for a Missed Appointment
Subject line: I’ll make it up to you.
I sincerely apologize for not being able to attend our planned meeting on (day and time). I had a crucial meeting that went on longer than expected, and by the time I recognised it, it was too late for our meeting (or any other valid reason).
I left you a message at your office to apologize in person, but I also wanted to send you a quick email. Kindly consider my heartfelt apologies for any inconvenience that this may have caused you.
I understand that just an apology isn’t enough to make up for your precious time, but please know that skipping meetings isn’t typical of our firm’s standards.
Please contact me as soon as you have a spare minute, and I will gladly rearrange our appointment at a mutually agreeable time.
Please accept my heartfelt apologies, and I hope to hear from you soon.
P.S. This time, the coffee is on me!
6. Apology Email for an Unhelpful Customer Representative Service
Subject line: We truly apologize!
We sincerely apologize on behalf of our company for the unpleasant experience you had when communicating with our customer care representative. It was inexcusable for them to keep you on hold for such a lengthy time and leave you with an unsatisfactory settlement to your problem.
We understand that you called in hope for dependable support and regret for any inconvenience caused at your end. Rest assured, we have taken the necessary measures and have condemned the action of our customer support representative as we believe in fair treatment of all customers. We bear responsibility for this miscommunication and hope you place your trust in us again.
We have walked through your issue and resolved the problem at hand. As an apology compensation, we would also like to offer you a (explain the offer).
7. Apology Email to a Customer for Sending Wrong Invoice
Subject line: Apology for the mistake at our end.
Hey Mr. S,
We regret to inform you that the previous invoice is not meant for you as it has some errors. We apologize for the inconvenience caused at your end and have attached the correct invoice below.
We recognize that this may have caused an unease at your end and as an apology compensation, we would like to offer you (explain offer).
Once again, we sincerely apologize for such an instance and assure you that it won’t happen again. We hope you understand and thank you for your patience.
8. Apology Email to Colleague for Sending a Wrong Document
Subject line: I apologize for the wrong documents.
I have realized that the document sent earlier was not meant for you but for another client. Therefore, please refer to the correct document attached below.
I sincerely apologize for any confusion or inconvenience caused because of this miscommunication. However, I will make sure that any such error is not repeated again in the future.
Thank you for your cooperation and understanding.
9. Apology Email to Your Boss
Subject line: I am sincerely sorry
I would like to express my apologies and regret for the recent errors committed by me. However, I take great pride in my job and tasks and am aware that this reflected badly on both myself and the company.
I want to tell you that I am devoted towards enhancing my performance and I am keen on not repeating these errors again. I personally want to express my gratitude for your assistance, and I promise to compensate you in the future.
Finally, thank you for your continued trust in me; it is truly treasured.
10. Apology Email to a Customer for Sending Wrong Product Information
Subject line: I apologize!
We have learned that one of our employees made an error and provided you information about the (mention wrong product) in place of the [mention correct product) you asked for.
Please accept our sincere apologies on account of our employee for this error and any resulting difficulty or misunderstanding. We hope this has no bearing on your shopping experience with us.
For further information on (mention the right product), please visit our website or see the following brochure attached below. Please do not hesitate to get in touch with us if you have any further questions.
50 Different Ways to Apologize in an Email:
- I sincerely apologize.
- I greatly apologize.
- I deeply apologize.
- I want to sincerely say sorry.
- I am so deeply sorry.
- We are all apologetic about this situation.
- In terms of what happened, please accept my genuine apology.
- I apologize for the misunderstanding.
- I apologize for bothering you again.
- I’m sorry for forgetting this.
- Please accept my sincere apology for this inconvenience.
- Please accept my sincere apology for the delay.
- I hope you accept my sincere apology for such short notice.
- I’m sorry for the very late response.
- My apologies for the mistake.
- My apologies. I overlooked your email.
- I’m sorry for my absence.
- I’m sorry for the last minute request.
- My utmost apology for not saying this sooner.
- My utmost apology for being late.
- My utmost apology for the inconvenience.
- I want to offer a large apology for any inconvenience this may have cost.
- My formal apology for.
- Allow me to offer a heartfelt apology for.
- This is a personal apology for.
- My apology for the mishap.
- My apology for the behavior.
- My apology for the oversight.
- I’m sorry for disrespecting you.
- A big apology for the incompetence.
- A big apology for…
- I’d like to take this opportunity to express my sincere apology for…
- I’m sorry for the confusion.
- I’m sorry about what happened.
- I apologize for this mistake.
- On behalf of the company, I’d like to apologize.
- I want to apologize for any grammatical errors.
- I apologize for my actions.
- I’m sorry for the mistake I made.
- I want to sincerely apologize for messing this up.
- We greatly apologize.
- We deeply apologize.
- We want to sincerely apologize for the misunderstanding.
- We’re sorry about forgetting this.
- Please accept our sincere apology for this matter.
- Please accept our sincere apology for the delay.
- We’re sorry that you feel that way.
- We’re sorry for the absence today.
- Our utmost apology for being tardy.
While admitting an error you made might be difficult, but if done correctly, it demonstrates maturity and deserves respect. Although “I’m sorry” is the most common apologetic expression, it’s typically not enough to think about what to add in an apology given the circumstances. This article outlined 10 ideal apology email templates that you can use to assist you in understanding what you can say when apologizing. Email templates are an often under-utilized tool when it comes to email responses. If you’re still having trouble figuring out where to begin, an AI email writer can assist you in boosting your creativity. All in all, if you follow these basic apology email instructions, your apology email will come across as genuine and allow you to make up with the person you harmed.
Track emails, email reminders & templates in Gmail for free
Upgrade Gmail with the features it’s missingAdd to Gmail
David Campbell is the editor of the Right Inbox blog. He is passionate about email productivity and getting more done in less time.