Most of us have had the experience of sending an email and waiting anxiously for a response, but having absolutely no idea of whether or not the recipient has opened and read it.
If you’re kept waiting for some time, you may be tempted to send a follow-up. But how soon is too soon? What if they’ve read it but just haven’t responded yet, and another email would be overkill?
There’s only one good way to eliminate all that uncertainty – email tracking.
What is Email Tracking?
First of all, what exactly is email tracking? Email tracking is a method of monitoring when a recipient has opened an email that you’ve sent – allowing you to make better, more informed business decisions.
How Does Email Tracking Work?
The most common way software tracks emails is by attaching a small pixel image that is invisible to the recipient. When the email is opened, the image is loaded from the server and that data is recorded. The sender then knows that their email has been opened.
Why Would You Want to Track Emails?
There are many benefits to tracking email opens:
- It reduces the need for follow-up emails – you already know if the recipient has opened your email.
- If recipients consistently don’t open your emails, you can cut down how many you send in the future.
- If you’re tracking in real-time, you can send follow-up emails when you know the recipient is in their email inbox.
- If you know that someone has opened up your email several times in one day, they’re likely to be interested in what you’re emailing them about. You can then strike while the iron is hot.
What Kind of Information Is Tracked?
This depends on what service you use, but the most common information that’s tracked is:
- Email opens and number of opens
- Clicks on links in the body of the email
- Time of day that emails are opened
- Devices that emails are opened on
- The location of the email open
- The IP address of the recipient
Can You Track Emails From Gmail?
Yes, you can. Right Inbox now offers the functionality to track emails right inside Gmail.
With our email tracking feature, you’ll be able to monitor and track:
- When your emails are opened
- What time they were opened
- What devices your recipients opened them on
- The location of the email open and the connected IP address
- Any links that are clicked on within the body of the email
It’s all the features you would expect from email tracking software – right inside Gmail.
How Do You Use Email Tracking in Right Inbox?
It couldn’t be simpler to use this new feature.
Follow these four steps to enable it and start tracking emails.
Step 1. Enable the feature by clicking on the eye icon at the bottom of your Gmail compose window.
Step 2. Select whether you want to track email opens, clicks, or both. This is done via the pop-up you see in the image below.
Step 3. See real-time notifications in the bottom left of your compose window.
Step 4. Click on your sent folder and hover over the checkmark icon to see how many times the email has been opened. You can also see where it was opened, and on how many devices.
The ability to track opens and link clicks in emails reduces the stress that comes with uncertainty, and helps you to work more effectively and efficiently.
Try Right Inbox’s new email tracking feature today.