If you have several Gmail accounts and access each one on a different device, you might find you need to assign a specific Gmail account to each one.
Not only will this help you organize your time, but it will also let you quickly access the relevant account for the device you’re logging on to.
Reasons you might want to change your default Gmail account
There may be many reasons you’d like to change your default Gmail account. If you have several Gmail accounts you use on different devices at different times, it can be useful to set each device with the default account that you use most often.
For example, if you have a work Gmail account that you use exclusively on your desktop during working hours, and a personal Gmail account that you use on your tablet and smartphone, then you might want to set your work email account as the default on your desktop, and your personal account as the default on your phone and tablet.
Setting a default account on your various devices in this way can help with your time management. After all, you don’t want to be distracted with personal emails when you’re at the office. Likewise, after a busy day, you might want to switch off from work and keep your personal devices free of work emails.
How to change your default Gmail account
Choose your default account
1. Go to your Gmail inbox.
2. Click on your profile image at the top right of your inbox.
3. Sign out of your account. Your Gmail account and all other linked accounts will be signed out
4. Back in Gmail.com, click Sign in and choose your preferred default account.
5. Enter your password.
6. Click Next.
7. Now you can add your other accounts to your new default account.
Adding accounts to your new default
1. Click on your profile image in the top right again.
2. Select Add account in the drop-down menu.
3. Click the account you want to add, or, for a previously unlinked account, select Use another account and enter the email address.
4. Enter the password for this account.
5. Click Next.
6. Now your secondary account is signed in and linked to your default account.
7. Repeat this process for any other accounts you want to add.
Test that it has worked successfully
To check that your default has been set correctly:
1. Click your profile image at the top right of Gmail.
2. Your default account should be the first account you see.
Leveling up your Gmail account
One of the major benefits of having a Gmail account is the free add-ons or extensions you can add to supercharge your account. Right Inbox is a free email productivity extension that gives your Gmail added functionality with the following features:
Email Tracking: Find out who reads and clicks your emails, how many times, and when. Real-time insights on who reads your emails and who’s ignoring you.
Email Follow-Ups: Set up follow-ups that automatically send if your prospect doesn’t reply. You can forget to follow up, because Right Inbox won’t.
Email Templates: Turn your most effective emails in templates you can insert and optimize with one click. Save time while adding consistency to your email communication.
Changing your default Gmail account is a matter of good time management. If you access different accounts on separate devices, then it makes sense to set a default account to each device.