Whether you have an Android or an iOS device, you may find yourself needing to delete your Gmail account from your phone. If so, there are just a few steps you’ll need to take, although it’s worth considering whether this action is actually necessary before you go ahead.
Why you might want to remove your Gmail account from your phone
There are many reasons that would lead you to removing your Gmail account from your phone.
Perhaps you’re upgrading to a new device and selling your existing smartphone. Maybe you’re about to lend your device to someone for a certain period of time. Either way, you don’t want anyone else accessing your Gmail account.
Alternatively, you may be experiencing functionality issues with your Gmail account on your phone and want to delete it in order to reinstall it.
It’s worth noting that you don’t need to remove your account to make space for a new one. If you’re in this situation, Google will let you add another account instead.
How to Remove Your Gmail Account
Removing your Gmail account from your iOS device
1. From your homescreen, tap on Settings.
2. Scroll down to Passwords and Accounts.
3. Tap on Gmail.
4. Tap on Delete Account.
5. To confirm your choice, tap Delete from My iPhone.
Removing your Gmail account from your Android device
1. Open your phone’s settings.
2. Tap Accounts or Users and Accounts, depending on your device.
3. Tap the Gmail account you want to remove.
4. To confirm your choice, tap Remove Account.
Removing your Gmail account from your Safari app
1. Open your Safari app.
2. Go to google.com.
3. Tap on your profile picture at the top right hand side and then Sign out.
4. Tap Sign in followed by Remove an account.
5. Tap the “-” symbol next to the account you wish to remove from your device.
6. Tap Done.
Removing your Gmail account remotely
If your phone is lost or stolen and you want to ensure that no one else accesses your Gmail account, then it’s possible to remove your account remotely:
1. Sign in to your Google account from another device.
2. Navigate to Settings in the left hand menu.
3. Tap on the Gmail account you wish to remove.
4. Tap on Manage your Google Account.
5. Navigate to the Security tab.
6. Scroll to Your devices and tap on Manage devices.
7. You’ll see the list of devices you’re signed into with your Google account. Click on your missing device and go to Account Access to click the Remove button.
10. Confirm your choice by clicking Remove.
Caution for Android users
For users of Android devices, most apps are dependent on having an active Google account, as they’re tied to the Google Play Store. Therefore, if you remove your Gmail account, you won’t be able to access the Google Play Store or any of your apps that are linked to it. Be sure you absolutely must remove your Gmail account before taking this step on an Android device.
Whatever your reason for removing your Gmail app from your smartphone – and whether you’re using an Android or an iOS device (or if you have to do it remotely) – rest assured that there are steps you can take to navigate the process seamlessly.