Google announced in 2020 that its Google Apps for Work suite will now be called “Google Workspace.” So what is Google Workspace? This comprehensive guide provides information about it and outlines the key features.
What is Google Workspace?
Google Workspace provides many apps such as Gmail and Google Meet. These apps are often used for communication but also have built-in collaborations such as Google Docs, Google Sheets, Google Slides and Forms. This allows multiple users to edit documents simultaneously.
What was G-Suite
Google’s G Suite service was launched in 2006 to allow organizations to use Google services from their domains. Gmail and other software such as Docs and Sheets were available to companies for the first time. Be sure to check out our resource on the G-suite/Workspace updates history over the years.
G Suite is more than a collaboration platform. It also serves as the back-end of your business. G Suite saves time and money because you have access to Google’s suite productivity tools without needing to purchase additional hardware or software.
Gmail, Google Talk, Page Creator were the original tools. It grew to include Docs, Sheets, and Slides (the entire document suite), Forms, (online form builder), Chat, and Google Drive for cloud storage.
Google offers a wide range of tools that are free to the user. They lack some features, such as custom domain email addresses or 24/7 customer support.
Administrators can manage their accounts and limit what is allowed with Google Workspace. It is a new, integrated user experience.
- Google’s communication tools are now integrated. Making it easier for teams to collaborate and deliver a better customer experience. Chat, Gmail Voice, Content Management, Voice, Video Calling, and Voice are all integrated to make it easier to work with others.
- Link preview integration is a time-saving tool. Instead of opening a new tab to view a link in a document or spreadsheet, users can now preview it by hovering over it.
- Chat allows you to work with your team and external parties on documents in real-time. Collaboration tools are easy and efficient because everyone can simultaneously create and edit the document.
- Our smart contact chip gives you contact information for people within and outside your organization when you mention someone in a paper. This provides a CRM-like context for interactions and suggests actions to be taken with the contact.
- Meet has been upgraded. You can now work on more mobile devices and see your colleagues’ faces while working together on documents, spreadsheets, or slideshows.
Google Workspace Details and Subscriptions
Google offers a variety of editions for Workspace that will suit your needs.
The Business Edition is for you if you have up to 300 user accounts but don’t need an Enterprise edition. Other options are available if you need more than 300 users or a single-user option.
Google offers many different editions, so you can check the pricing page to see the details.
Google announced a new Individual Edition in June 2021 that includes email marketing and booking services, as well as access to the core Workspace apps.
Individual subscriptions are for those who don’t require additional accounts or support to manage their apps. It might be ideal for someone who runs a side business or is a solo entrepreneur.
Business Editions (From 1 to 300 Accounts)
There are three plans available for small businesses. The one that suits your needs will be the best.
- Business Starter: $6/month active account
- Business Standard: $12 per month active account
- Business Plus: $18 per month active account
The key differences between the plans are their storage, video meeting participant limit, and recording capabilities. Plus has access to Google Vault, which offers more secure data management.
Enterprise Editions (From 1 to Any Number of Accounts)
The Enterprise Plus edition is recommended for those who need more than 300 accounts. If your company doesn’t have many people or devices, the free trial is ideal. You can then see how it works before you buy it.
Essentials Edition (for Organizations that have Existing Email and Calendar Systems)
You don’t need to give up your favorite programs and go all-in on Google services. You can continue using your existing email and calendar solutions like Microsoft 365 and add Workspace Essentials. This allows people to collaborate with Docs and Sheets, Forms, etc.
These people may still want to use legacy options alongside the newest options.
The Frontline edition is designed to facilitate communication between frontline workers and employees. It includes access to core Workspace apps like Gmail, Calendars, Chat, and Chat. Some companies may not need the 2GB storage limit. Information about pricing pages can be requested.
Education Editions (Educational Institutions Only).
Qualifying universities and schools can now access Google Workspace for Education Fundamentals for free. This includes the ability to use a variety of collaboration apps as well as the powerful classroom app that provides a structure for teachers when teaching students in their class.
There are many educational editions available, including:
- Google Workspace for Education Fundamentals is Free for Prospective Businesses
- Google Workspace for Education Standard: $3 per Student per Year
- Teaching and Learning Upgrade: $4 per month
- Google Workspace Education Plus: $5 per year
Nonprofit Editions (Non-Profit Organizations Only)
Nonprofit organizations who meet the requirements can use Google Workspace For Nonprofits at no charge. This is the Google Workspace Starter Edition.
With qualified nonprofit status, they have access to different pricing pages and plans, including Google Apps Standard Edition, $5 per month, and Google Apps Premium Edition, $10 per month. Plus:
- Google Workspace for Nonprofits: No cost for prospective businesses
- Business Standard: $3 per account per month
- Business Plus: $5 per account per month
- Enterprise editions: Reduced by 70% from standard prices
What apps are available to customers as part of Goole Workspace?
These apps are included in the core offering of most editions Google Workspace.
Speed is an important aspect of Workspace apps. Google offers .new shortcuts that, when entered into a modern browser’s URL field, create a new item for the type indicated. Cal.new creates an event in Google Calendar, while Doc.new creates an item in Google Doc.
- Gmail (be sure to utilize Gmail extensions as well to get the most from the email client)
- Meet/Meet hardware
- Chat and Spaces
Track emails, email reminders & templates in Gmail for free
Upgrade Gmail with the features it’s missingAdd to Gmail
David Campbell is the editor of the Right Inbox blog. He is passionate about email productivity and getting more done in less time.