There are several reasons you may want to add a second Gmail account. Many people don’t realize that this is a possibility, but you can indeed add a second email to your Gmail account – and it doesn’t necessarily have to be a Gmail address.
Gmail lets you add as many email accounts as you want – something you only usually see in desktop email applications. Here’s what you need to know about adding a second Gmail account.
*** SUPERCHARGE Your Gmail account with this FREE chrome extension ***
How to Create a Second Gmail Address on Your Desktop
Let’s get down to how you add a second Gmail account to your account – starting with your desktop.
Step 1. Head over to Gmail and open up your primary Gmail account.
Step 2. Then, navigate to your Profile icon. You’ll find this in the top right-hand corner.
Step 3. At the bottom left of the drop-down menu you’ll see a button that says Add another account. Click that.
Step 4. From here, you can either add an existing account or create a new one. To create one, click Create account.
Step 5. You’ll now be presented with an option to create an account for myself or to manage my business. Choose the one you need.
Step 6. You’ll now need to create a new account with all the standard information (name, username, password, and more). Fill all of that in and then click Next.
Step 7. Click I agree to accept Google’s terms and conditions.
Step 8. Click Continue to Gmail and you’re all done.
Why Would You Want to Add a Second Gmail Account?
There are many reasons you might need a second Gmail account:
- Separating business and personal emails – keeping everything in separate accounts helps you stay on top of things.
- If you work in Digital PR, sales, or outreach, you may have slightly different accounts with differing email signatures.
- You might want to use a throwaway Gmail account to keep all of your work-based email newsletters away from your personal and/or business accounts
Cons of Adding Multiple Gmail Addresses
While there are many pros to having multiple Gmail addresses, there is also a downside to adding them all to your account, which is that you leave yourself more exposed to having your accounts hacked.
Whether you only have one additional Gmail account or you add multiple accounts, we recommend using Google two-factor authentication and a password manager like Lastpass.
Additional Reading: How to Create a New Gmail Account
How to Create a Second Gmail Address on Your iPhone
You can also add a second Gmail account on your smartphone. Here’s how to do it with your iPhone.
Step 1. Open the Gmail app.
Step 2. Tap your Profile icon in the top right corner.
Step 3. Tap Add another account.
Step 4. Select Google (or other type of account) and tap Continue.
Step 5. When you select Google, like on desktop, you can either add an existing account or create a new one. To create one, click Create account, and select either for myself or to manage my business.
Step 6. The app will then take you through the process for adding your name, new username, password, and the other information that you expect to fill in when you sign up for a new email account.
Step 7. After that, you’ll be asked to agree to Google’s terms and conditions. Click I agree. Then click Next and you’re all done.
How to Create a Second Gmail Address on Your Android Phone
Finally, if you’re an Android user, here are the step-by-step instructions you need to follow.
Step 1. On your Android phone or tablet, open the Gmail app.
Step 2. Click on your Profile in the top right-hand corner of the app.
Step 3. Select Google (or other type of account) and tap Continue.
Step 4. The app will then take you through the process for adding your name, new username, password, and the other information that you expect to fill in when you sign up for a new email account.
Step 5. After that, you’ll be asked to agree to Google’s terms and conditions. Click I agree. Then click Next and you’re all done.
Tools to Help You Manage Multiple Gmail Accounts
Many tools can help you manage multiple Gmail accounts. If you find multiple inboxes getting tough to handle, try these out:
- Right Inbox is an email productivity tool that allows you to send email follow ups, track emails , set email reminders plus many other features. Install for Free Here.
- Wavebox helps you consolidate your email accounts into one place to more easily manage them and works with hundreds of other apps.
- Checker Plus for Gmail is a free chrome extension to help you handle multiple email accounts.
- Mailplane for Mac is a cost-effective way of managing multiple Gmail accounts if you’re a Mac user.
- Gmail’s account switcher is Google’s built-in solution for switching accounts and is great if you want something a little simpler.